Saturday, March 17, 2012

Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

I LOVE these sandwiches. They're super easy, really flavorful, and you can change them up however you wish.

Oh, Giada, you had me at goat cheese. The original recipe is here, but, as usual, I changed it to make my life easier. And I think my version is just as tasty! Go over to her recipe if you want to be all proper and exact with the ingredients. But, c'mon! It is just a sandwich. Put on what you like, however much you like, top it with bread, eat it, done. Delicious.




Vegetable and Goat Cheese Sandwiches


Ingredients:


1 Ciabatta - or baguette - or whatever other kind of bread you like
1 cup goat cheese, at room temperature (I buy a little extra for Snacking Step One)
1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
Olive oil
2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
1 eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
1 10 oz package sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
Some herbs - fresh or dried - whatever kind you like
Salt and pepper
2 cups baby spinach

Make it:

Toast the ciabatta lightly in the oven. Slice it open lengthwise.
(Snacking: Scoop out some of the warm ciabatta bread from the top layer and help yourself to a goat cheese and ciabatta snack with a glass of wine while you assemble the sandwich. You work hard. You deserve it.)
Spread the goat cheese on the bottom layer of ciabatta. Add the sun-dried tomatoes.


Cook some veggies. Giada grills hers, but I don't have a grill pan, so I sauté mine with a little olive oil. During the last few minutes of cooking, add the garlic and herbs and salt and pepper. Layer the vegetables on top of the sun-dried tomatoes.


Top with baby spinach.


Top with the top half of the ciabatta. Cut into four or six or eight pieces. I make mine into four huge sandwiches. We always have some left over, but they taste great cold the next day.


I just had these last night, but looking at these pictures makes me want them all over again! They are SOOOO YUMMY! Too bad the hubs already ate all our leftovers. For breakfast.

Enjoy!


7 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

Even though this has tons of ingredients that I don't love, I bet it's yummy :)

Marie@Procrastinating in Pink said...

This looks fabulous! Following from My Third True Love! :) Cute blog!

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I think goat cheese is something that you either love or hate. I personally like it a lot, and I try to have sandwiches for dinner a few times a month. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays. These look wonderful!

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

Wow, this looks delicious! I'm following:)I hope you'll share this at my link party, running now through Saturday night! :)
http://www.gratefulbelly.com/2012/03/whats-new-wednesday-two-and-give-away.html

Mimi said...

Sound yummy. Can;t wait to try it.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Wow Darcy, this looks so delish! Hubby & I are trying to eat less meat. I can't wait to give this recipe a try.

Warmly, Michelle

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Oh my goodness Darcy, I tried this & it is so yummy! And so different from the other things I usually make. I loved it. Thanks for broadening my horizons!

Warmly, Michelle

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...