Saturday, November 26, 2011

Fancying Up the Knife Block

So I saw this on pinterest, and for the life of me I could not figure out why I had never thought of that before. I practically walk around this place on a daily basis with a spray paint can in my hand looking for things to paint. How have you escaped my spray paint wrath all this time, you Ugly, Old Knife Block?


To start, I painted it blue. 


To match this guy.


Because even though Squirrel Bird has his own vase, you never know when he might need to protect the family from an axe murderer. He needs to know which weapons to go for at a moment's notice.


I had it in my head that I wanted to stencil my knife block. You know, since the last time I stenciled anything I was 10 years old. There's a reason for that. I suck at stenciling. I can never get the paint even. The paint was thicker in some places, thinner in other places, and, hey, by the way, welcome to Danish Land. Danish Land that looks a little dirty because I used steel wool to sand it all down.

Nope. This is not going the way that I had planned AT ALL.


Jumpin' Happy Mishap! What if I gave it another coat of blue and sanded it down again? Then the heavy paint areas might come up a bit and it might look kind of cool and deliberate! 


Hey! It actually worked! There's a first time for everything!


Welcome to my kitchen, Happy, Happy Knife Block.





17 comments:

Mariska said...

I love it! Isn't it great when you try to fix up flaws, and end up with something even better than you planned?! I think sometimes when I am crafting that I spend more time fixing my mistakes than the actual crafting part ;)

Ali Richardson said...

PRETTY!!!!!! Ooooh, it looks SO good!!!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

SOOOO pretty!! And so much better than the boring regular one!! :)

C said...

Hi Darcy! Even what you think is a "mishap" always looks good, you crafty woman, you! I always love your ideas, but your comments crack me up and I enjoy those the most! Wish you lived near me so you could do my ugly knife block, too : )

Helena, Craft and Creativity said...

Great idea! I have a knife block just like that in my kitchen and it would really need a new look. :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

I am going to try this. I saw this on Pinterest, too. Would you like to link this up to my Pinterest Favorites tomorrow? This is a great post for that.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

This looks adorable. I have the exact same knife block. thank you for the amazing idea. I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

Lauryn Ashli said...

this is REALLY great.
i love this.
thanks so much for sharing.
{love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

i have a giveaway going on right now.
i'd love for you to stop by and enter if you are interested!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea. I would love if you shared it at my linky party: http://eyehearttoday.blogspot.com/2011/11/anything-goes-at-eye-heart-3.html

Sandie said...

I love love love it! I am going to have to do this. ;)

Anonymous said...

WOW! This is fantastic!!!!! I love the design!
Thank you for sharing!!

visiting you from:
www.marisakquijano.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

I think I have the same knife block. And now that I see yours, there is no way that baby is staying the way it came. I love the way the white stencil pops out with the coat of blue over it.

Susanne said...

What a great transformation, it looks great!
Wish you a great weekend :)

Kimberly T. said...

What a happy accident! It looks great!

HoneySage said...

This is fabulous! We have at least 4 cans of this color. This will be a project I do in the spring when I totally change the kitchen colors. Thanks for the inspiration!

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor said...

That looks great! I love the way you painted over and sanded the design. Very cool effect.

Crafty Mischief said...

I love it! Now I'm inspired to paint mine! Isn't funny when what you set out to create turns out completely different but even better than what you imagined? I found you through Funky Junk Interiors. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...