Saturday, November 12, 2011

Estate Sale Roadshow

So I went to an estate sale and got this for 5 bucks. Do you have any idea what it is?


Because I don't. It has holes and handles, like maybe it wants to be a fancy fruit colander or something. But then it's made of some sort of metal and has some felt on the bottom, like it doesn't want to be fruit colander. 

Maybe it's to display potpourri? Fake fruit? Jesus figurines? I have no idea. 

So you know what I did, right?


I spray painted it. 

And now I use it when we want to play with buttons. Doesn't everyone need an elegant let-the-buttons-slide-through-your-fingers bowl? Yep. That's the kind of life I live. I'm so fancy it's AMAZING. Try not to look at that table underneath the bowl. It's trying to ruin my high class profile.


And sometimes I use it to store ribbon spools. But really I just took this picture so you could see the foot of the bowl.


What IS this thing?

Anyway, I also use my Estate Sale Bowl when I buy $40 worth of sequins. Would you like to know what Forty Bucks of Sequins looks like?


Yeah. Not as big of a Sequin Mountain as I had hoped, either.


So, yes. I use the bowl when I spend my children's college tuition savings to splurge on sparkly round embellishments...


that need to be color-mixed and portioned out into small cello crafting bags. 

I could buy the ready-mixed bag of sequins that you can find almost anywhere. BUT! Sometimes I'm very particular about the sequin colors that I need. So I buy all the individual colors and mix them myself. 
I'm a total crafting martyr. 

Do you know how a normal amount of sequins like to stick to your fingers when you are trying to craft with them? Now multiply that times a 40-dollar-gazillion. I know! It doesn't even make sense. Stop sticking to my fingers, Sequin! Get into your cello bag, Sequin! Why don't you just go home?!? That's your home! Are you too good for your home?!?

Happy Gilmore knows how I feel.

It was like Attack of the Sequins up in here. And then I learned how to easily scoop them up and put them into their bags with a plastic spoon. You know, because I went to college. 


To see where these little cello bags of crafty bling ended up, you can wait 'til my next post, or go see them here.

And now I'll give you the biggest hint ever:



























Spoiler Alert:

Yay! Christmas Ornament Banner Craft Kits!!!!

Look at the bling! That lovely, sparkly, sequin bling going on at the bottom of the bell, and around the ball, and covering the spindle. It was well worth The Great Sequin War.

Go, Sparkle, Go!



12 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

Yipppeeeeee!!! Hooray for estate sales AND sequin battles!! Bowl/collander looks much prettier in white :)

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

I agree - the white looks awesome!! And it is a totally appropriate vessel to hold all of the examples that you showed us! :)

Maggie Lamarre said...

I'm drooling over your button collection,
Would luv for my readers to see this awesome idea, will you please join our weekly party at
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-showcase-tutorial-with.html
have a great crafting weekend!
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Very cute...I am going to do the last pic with my 4 year old, she's all about crafts. Thanks! Found you at tipjunkie.com

runnintobeskinny.com

Julie@teachinggoodeaters said...

I love buttons and really must go find some as pretty as yours!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, sparkles!

Loving your buttons, too.

Gaby @ Tmuffin said...

Stopping by from take-a-look Tuesday...

I love the bowl, and I love the idea of having a bowl like that for button play. It makes it much more special that way!

And how weird is this: I was searching through Etsy this week looking for craft kits, and I stumbled across your pumpkin banner kit. And then today, I stumbled on your blog from the linky! I was meant to be your follower, I guess! :)

Anonymous said...

Found you via Trendy Treehouse. Love estates sales and spray paint! The ornaments are great!

Jenifer Harrod said...

Wow these are awesome!
My little girl is having a party today at:
www.ladybugswithzoi.blogpsot.com

Shiloh said...

I need a bowl like that for buttons. Letting buttons run through your fingers is kinda therapeutic, I think.:)

Robin Ange said...

Love the sequence in this bowl!

I host a weekly upcycling party and would love it if you linked this project up. http://tinyurl.com/upcycled71

Unknown said...

I most definitely do not need a sequin bowl, or a button bowl for that matter, since I have none of either, but seeing as how you are freakn' hilarious, I will likely read anything and everything you write on either topic. Love your blog! Please be my best friend and call me daily. Thanks!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...