Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Make a Fabric-Covered Bulletin Board



Materials: 
Cork board (mine is 24 x 36 inches) 
Fabric (the width and length of the cork board plus 2 or 3 inches)
Stapler
Open-backed frame (the same size opening as the cork board)
Duct tape
Frame hanging hardware (if the frame doesn't already have it)
Pretty Ribbon
Scissors
Tacky Glue

Here's the front of my cork board.


Here's a close-up of my pretty white fabric.



Lay out your fabric (face down) on the floor and center the cork board on top. Wrap the sides of the fabric around to the back of the cork board, make sure the fabric is pulled tight, and staple like crazy. (I tried it with a staple gun first, because I was trying to act all tough, but the staples were too long and went all the way through the cork board. I ended up using a regular stapler instead. It jammed about a hundred times during the process, but it worked!)



Lay your frame on the floor (face down) and fit your covered cork board inside. Duct tape your cork board to your frame. (I wanted some of those little slider things that hold the picture in the frame, but I couldn't find them anywhere. Really, it doesn't matter. Duct tape might not be the prettiest, but who cares? It's the back for crying out loud.)


Attach the hanging hardware to your frame. Turn your board over so it's face up. Cut your ribbon to size and glue it on.

I framed complimentary blue paper with dark brown cardstock and tacked them up. I write the things I need to do on individual little Post-Its and stick them on. I like that my lists look organized instead of tacked up all over the board. On the bottom right you'll see cute little drawings from my kids and a sweet card from my husband. And I totally admit that sometimes I just enjoy looking at it because it looks so organized!
 





5 comments:

Shan said...

Hello! I just started reading your blog and I LOVE how crafty you are. And I love how you make it easy for parents to do crafts with the kids.
Seriously, what a great idea you had!

Tip-Tops said...

I like this, but where oh where would I hang it??

Hmmmm. I'm going to think about this some more.

:0)

Unknown said...

Wow, this is a really great idea and you explained it so well. thank you so much for sharing!
~Emily xx

Bran said...

What a good idea, I need to make one of those!

Darcy said...

I'll translate that last comment for you: "Hey Darcy, you are the coolest chick ever!"
I know, right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...